Saturday, January 10, 2009

Busy day...and cooking!

Today is a busy day for us...not normal for Saturday. Saturday is usually our do nothing day...maybe get dressed...maybe not!! Today there is a funeral at our church for the mother of a woman who attends, her children also attend the school Michaela goes to...I think it is important for me to go for a show of support of her church family and school family. I'm also making sandwiches for this...it is such a blessing to be able to do it. When Ron passed away my church did everything!! I mean it was completely overwhelming, the love and support shown to me was so evident...my family (which has some nonbelievers) could clearly see it! I feel privileged to have God use me to support someone else as well!
I also have a Christmas potluck for our school staff tonight...yeah we didn't quite get it together in time to do it before Christmas...so here we are! I'm actually quite happy it is now...just a little bit of joy in the normal after Christmas and New Years slump!
So I'm going to post a bunch of pictures of what I've done this morning...wow just after 11am!! I'm amazing myself today!
First I'm making stuffing for the dinner tonight, I do have to say that I make a pretty amazing stuffing (yes it may be boastful...but it is also true)!!
I make my own bread filled with spices and dry it in the oven then break it up.
Now I love sausage in stuffing...I use Johnsonville hot Italian...browned.

Chop some onion, slice some celery and fresh mushrooms.

Saute them on the stove with a bit of butter, using the same pan you browned the sausage in...give it great flavour.
I like to cook it all in a slow cooker...it is just easier. I know you're thinking...there is no way that is going to fit!! Oh silly you...I will make it fit!

Add a little chicken broth...and mix it around...
voila!

Now that is all slow cooking away...I will mix it up now and then and check and see if I have to add a bit more broth or not!!
Now that isn't all I did today, will this was going on I decided that Michaela and I should make some butter...yes that's right BUTTER! I've seen on a few blogs how easy it is so I thought it would be fun...yes there are pictures (I've decided that my kitchen is really where my camera should be..that is where all the action is)!! I'll post about that later...I also made some egg salad and tuna salad sandwiches for the lunch today...I even took pictures of that. I was in the zone!! I'll have to do it more often, it is fun and I think makes it all a bit more interesting!
Now it is all cleaned up, I can sit and relax for a bit...until I need to shower and get ready to go!

2 comments:

Laura said...

YES you should definitely do more of these for all of us that aren't so handy dandy in the kitchen.

I now make my stuffing this way thanks to you and I love it.

You're awesome girl!!

Annie said...

Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
I started making butter at home - super easy. I just put the cream in my mixer and turn it on until it's yellow, then strain and refrigerate. Doesn't keep for very long but it's yummy when fresh and great for baking too.